Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Baked Sweet Potato Fries, A Recipe

Baked sweet potato fries with mustard on the side, on a paper plate.

Today I woke up pretty late. It was already lunchtime and I didn't want to eat anything big right then, so I had some grapes.

We bought sweet potatoes over the weekend but we hadn't eaten them so I decided to make them today. I think a lot of people eat sweet potatoes because they have more nutrients than white potatoes.

I've been eating sweet potatoes more often, recently. I found a great recipe for baked sweet potato fries that are a little bit spicy, and they're really good with mustard! (Weird, I know, but trust me. I guess I really like mustard though.) For me, I wanted to like them but I hate how sweet they are (I know they're called sweet potatoes), so this recipe is perfect because they're pretty spicy the way I make them, plus the mustard cuts some of the sweetness.

So, here's how to make them:

Preheat the oven to 450℉ so that it's nice and hot by the time you're done cutting up your sweet potatoes.

Then cut up a sweet potato or two (two will make enough for about 3 people, provided they are medium sized sweet potatoes) into 1/2" slices that slightly resemble fries. They need to be a bit thicker than regular fries because they cook for a LONG time. Thin fries will burn, which tastes awful.

Put the slices in a bowl and drizzle on olive oil. Enough to cover all the fries.
What I do to season them is take cayenne pepper, chipotle, and whatever else you want and sprinkle generously. Toss the fries around a bit to get them all coated and add more seasoning if you need to.
After that, take a big pizza pan or baking sheet and put parchment paper down and arrange the fries so they all lay flat.
I usually sprinkle some salt on top and add a little freshly-ground pepper.

These should go in (a 450℉ oven) for around 30-40 minutes. Check them at around 20 minutes and flip the fries over so the other sides get a little crispy too.

I check them again at about 30 minutes and depending on how done you want them, either take them out or put them in for another 10 minutes. At this time, though, you need to watch them so they don't burn!

The seasoning on them is really up to you! I love spicy foods so I use a lot of cayenne pepper and chipotle on these and it gives them the kick I want. But if you like them sweeter, try using honey and cinnamon instead.

Experiment with how long you cook them, too. Around 25-30 minutes, they'll be soft and warm. 10 minutes longer, 35-40 minutes, they'll be a little crispier. Anything over 40 minutes though will probably be burnt. I'm not kidding when I say you need to keep an eye on them. They start burning very quickly. Especially because the oven is so hot.

Baked Sweet Potato Fries (recipe) 

  • 1 or 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (enough to cover fries) 
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 tsp ground red chipotle
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 450℉
  2. Cut sweet potato into uniform slices (about 1/2" thick) 
  3. Drizzle on Olive Oil, add cayenne pepper, chipotle, season to taste
  4. Toss the fries in oil and spices
  5. Lay out fries on parchment paper & baking sheet
  6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, checking the fries and turning them over halfway through
  7. Don't let them burn! 
------
Let me know if y'all make these, I'd love to hear from you! 

Peace, love, and rock & roll ✌
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment