Monday, January 2, 2017

January Weight (and Hamburgers)

Two hamburgers on a plate with sautéed green beans. A dollop of mustard is on the plate alongside the hamburgers. A knife and fork are at the upper right corner.

I weighed myself this morning and I was 175 lbs. Based on BMI, that puts me into obese territory. Which, okay, BMI isn't a super accurate measurement. However, it surprised me quite a lot when I looked it up. So I'm hoping that I can get to an average weight through this year.

Since it's January 2nd already, I thought I'd type up some of the reasons I'm doing this. Because I think it's important that you know where I'm coming from and what my motivations are, especially when I'm changing my lifestyle.


I decided in December that I had had enough of being overweight. I always feel uncomfortable in my clothes now, and I didn't used to, even a year ago. It felt like a chore to take a picture of myself, when I knew it was going to be posted. Posing just the right way so I couldn't see certain things. And it's because I started eating worse than ever before. I was having big BIG meals and then eating "snacks" that consisted of chicken nuggets or a plate full of chips, nearly right before I went to sleep. I was eating WAY too much, and junk food all the time.

I had also been having really bad headaches seemingly all the time, with no way to make them go away. The majority of them were caused by the foods I was eating. I felt a headache come on after a lot of foods, like macaroni and cheese (super processed Kraft brand), and pizza or Chinese food. Some of the stuff I was able to cut out, but I am addicted to the sugar and wheat in pizza and Chinese food and everything else that I couldn't give up.

So I was thinking about how to combat this, and I remembered that I had felt really good when I was doing paleo the first time around. And how much this blog helped me keep my diet in check. So I decided to start primal/paleo again because there was a time when I felt good and looked good, and I want to go back to that.

I want to wake up every day feeling great! I want to feel good in my clothes and look good in pictures!

That's my reasoning. What's your's?

***
I woke up late AGAIN today, so no breakfast this morning. I ate more of those Lil Smokies sausages and (a whole can of) green beans this time for lunch. It held me over for quite a while. I usually sauté green beans in a pan with olive oil and a little bit of salt and pepper. Just until they're hot. I put a little too much oil in the pan though, but hey, more fat so who cares!

I had a cup of tea after that. Black tea from Bigelow with a couple teaspoons of sugar in it. I need to get honey instead. It's still sugar, but at least it's a little more natural than white, granulated sugar.

For dinner, I made hamburgers. I added a little bit of breadcrumbs to the meat, less than 1/4 cup into 1.5 lbs. of ground beef. I put in various seasonings and since I didn't want to cook them on the grill, I cooked them in a pan. There was a lot more grease but they tasted pretty much the same as grilled. We had more green beans with dinner, but this time I only had a serving. I ate two palm-sized burgers without buns, and dipped them in mustard. Once I was done, I was full but I still wanted more to eat. This is a bad habit I've developed, I've noticed. I keep eating even after I'm full. It leads to me feeling like I want more to eat when really I'm just bored.

We went to the store after dinner and got meals for the next week or so, and some other stuff that we needed. I was hungry after dinner and looking through Pinterest for potato/sweet potato recipes to fill me up, and I found a couple that I wanted to try. They are both pretty much baked sweet potato fries, but they have different tastes. I think I'm going to try at least one of these recipes this week.

I was still hungry when we got back (I didn't eat anything after dinner) so I cut up some strawberries and had a cheese stick. I find that I can tolerate a small amount of mozzarella cheese, no more than a few slices or a cheese stick's worth.

I was still hungry a little later, and so far I'd only had ~980 calories for the day, so I cut up half an apple (gave the other half to my brother) and put peanut butter on the slices. I think I used just over a tablespoon. It was really good! Although trying to get peanut butter to stick to a juicy apple is not easily accomplished! 😜

Anyway, I ate a total of 1304 calories, with 54 g carbs, 88 g fat, and 71 g protein.

***
Important news!
I was reading my blog entries from 2013 or so, when I first did this, and they were pretty boring! So I think I want to change it up a little, write some interesting things, what I'm doing, how my day went, and also recipes or links I thought were interesting. Hopefully it'll be better to read that than just a play-by-play of everything I ate that day. Let me know what you think!

Peace, love, and Rock 'n' Roll ✌
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment